Father Hudson’s Care and Their Founder Father George Vincent Hudson
Father Hudson’s Care is the name adopted in 2015. Known as Father Hudson’s Society since 1984, a name it still uses for legal and contractual purposes, the organisation was established in 1902 as the Birmingham Diocesan Rescue Society for the protection of homeless and friendless Catholic children. At the beginning of the twentieth century, Pope Leo XIII invited bishops from around the world to establish some special work of charity. The Archdiocese of Birmingham responded by asking Father George Vincent Hudson to lead on this work of caring for children. Father Hudson established a network of children’s homes in Coleshill and Birmingham. He was seen as ahead of his time housing children after 14 years old, the usual age of leaving homes, and supporting them into the world of work. Over the 20th century the organisation continued to change and develop, registering as an adoption agency in 1944, opening more work focused homes including one for girls and a farm, providing hospital’s services to serve the whole community focusing on disability and since the 1980’s developing fostering.
In the 1990’s Father Hudson’s developed residential services for older people and disabled people. At the same time the trustees developed new community projects with other like-minded partners, usually religious sisters. Ever since then the trustees have remained committed to this vision. In the community, the Anawim, Hope and Brushstrokes projects have led the way. Other Community Projects established in the last 10 years include New Heights and Maryvale in Birmingham and more recently Young at Heart in Staffordshire, Fatima House in Birmingham, Embrace in Worcestershire and Tabor House in Birmingham.